Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Long Overdue Update

Ahhh, summer break!! I can finally concentrate on what I need to do, and it's a long list.

Here's an update on what's been going on.

When I had the thermography screening done last month it showed that I had a condition known as estrogen dominance, basically a hormone imbalance. I have no reason to think this was the case before all this started, but rather a side effect of the treatments I had. My ovaries had stopped working for a period of time and were just functioning again at the time of the screening. So maybe if I had left things alone it would have all leveled out, but I didn't. On the advise of the doctor, I started using a plant based progesterone cream. I felt uneasy about using it and stopped. A couple of days after I stopped using the cream my period started, (sorry men, I know how much you love hearing about that stuff) and my breasts got extremely lumpy, not unusual for that time of the month for some women, but for someone in my situation pretty scary. Now, my first thought was probably the same as yours, it's spreading. I spent a short amount of time panicking, by short I mean maybe 5 minutes. Then I spent some time trying to rationalize with myself- These lumps hurt, c***** lumps don't hurt most of the time. These lumps weren't there before my cycle. They are probably just cysts. Right?

After panicking and rationalizing I handed it over to God. "I let the peace of God rule in my heart and I refuse to worry about anything." (Colossians 3:15) Besides the fact that it doesn't feel good to be in a constant state of worry, it's not good for me and it's counterproductive in my treatment. It also doesn't change anything. This is what I keep telling myself.

Then my period was over and the lumps and pain were still there...another brief moment of panic followed by more rationalizing. It was at that point I read about fibrocystic breast condition. Most of the symptoms seemed to make sense and it's brought on by hormone fluctuations. But this still poses a problem because how can I tell if there is growth in the original tumor with all these other lumps and bumps going on. Ugh!

I talked with Bob about it and we decided I would try the progesterone cream again. This time I prayed that if I wasn't suppose to use it then please God make that obvious to me. And oh my was it ever so obvious! Within a half of an hour of using it I was insane. I was acting so irrationally and I knew it, but I couldn't stop. I was angry and throwing things around. I was so irritable I didn't even want to be around myself. It was the same for most of the day at work. By the end of the day all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and be miserable. When I looked it up, it turns out many woman have the same bad reaction to progesterone cream. So I won't be using that anymore. But as a result of using that stupid cream one time, my period started again just a few days later, just 2 weeks after the other one. So to say I am an emotional wreck might be an understatement. I'm moody and miserable.....YUCK!

So is the c***** spreading or are these lumps just cysts? I have no clue. I'm leaning towards cysts.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday June19. It's of the breast area only. Based on what they have to say I will know whether or not a broader look may be necessary. If these are cysts then they will be able to tell the difference during the ultrasound.  I'm assuming that just with anything else I won't know the full results tomorrow. They probably have to send it out to be read.

 Besides lumpy breasts and mood swings everything else is good. My stomach issues are 100% better. I can eat raw fruits and vegetables again without any problems. My energy level is probably normal for any 30 something year old who has been inactive for months, but it's improving.

I was thinking back a few days ago to right after I had chemo for the first time. I wasn't even able to walk the  short hallway at work without being exhausted afterward and my feet numb. Now I am able to go for long walks and I seek out big hills and steps. When you're in that moment of being completely drained of all energy you can't imagine ever feeling normal again, but I do. Physically, I feel really good.

Even mentally, most of the time I'm fine. This moodiness has been just over the past few days.

I am really excited that I have found a way to get high doses of vitamin C which will be more time efficient and cost effective than getting the IV. Getting an IV meant driving an hour, sitting for a few hours while it dripped, and then driving home. They said I should do this 2-3 times a week at $90 a pop plus gas, not to mention all the time I wouldn't be with my children.

I just started taking high doses orally. I've read from several sources how to reach your tolerance level to make sure it is effective. So that's what I've been working on the last two days. In short, you take hourly doses of vitamin C powder until you have watery stool. The more sick you are the higher your tolerance will be. As you get better your tolerance will be less. Pretty cool!! I still haven't reached my tolerance level yet.

The other thing I have added to my daily regimen is garlic...yep garlic. I may not smell too pretty but it's supposed to be very good at fighting c*****. I cut up two cloves daily and swallow the chunks. YUM! I apologize ahead of time to anyone who has to be around me. I'll try to keep my distance.

And lastly, my hair. I know this isn't much of an update, I still don't have any. I shouldn't say any because I do have some. I trimmed it again just the other day using a number three attachment on the clippers. There are a few thick patches but for the most part there's still not enough to cover my entire scalp. I have just recently traded in my headcoverings for a cooler, more breathable ball cap.

To wrap this up, I'm good, better than what people probably expect. "The peace of God which passeth all understanding keeps my heart and my mind through Christ Jesus. And things which are good, and pure, and perfect, and lovely, and of good report, I think on these things. (Philippians 4:7-8)




No comments:

Post a Comment