Saturday, April 6, 2013

Back to Life

My last chemo therapy treatment was one week ago today. Overall it's been a really good week. At this point I'm not feeling too badly. The nausea lessens with every day and for the most part I've been able to eat, which was not the case last time around. The doctor did switch the chemo drug this time instead of waiting one more round like he had originally planned, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

 Following the post chemo cycle, I am starting to drag a little. I noticed about halfway through the work day I was nearly drained of any energy I may have started the day with. I needed to sit more often throughout the afternoon and just rest. By the time I got home I was ready for a nap, although I didn't.  Instead of napping I took my 9 yr old to his first baseball practice of the season.

Tuesday, I returned to work after being out for almost two weeks. Wednesday, two of the boys had soccer practice for the first time this season. Thursday, I had a meeting with coworkers from other buildings. And Friday, there was that baseball practice. I have also ventured into two stores and the bank this week. These are all ordinary places.  Places I have gone hundreds, maybe even thousands of times. But this time, this time was different. I was going to these places for the first time. It was the first time because this time I was bald. I hadn't seen the parents from the boys' teams since the fall. They didn't have any clue what has gone on since then. Would they ask me? Have they already heard? I never know what I'm walking into. When people see me in the store, can they tell?  While these questions cross my mind and I have these little awkward moments, I can't let this little diagnosis stop me from any moment of my life or it's already won, and there's no way I'll allow that to happen.  



No comments:

Post a Comment