Sunday, April 28, 2013

Why Holistic?

This post is dedicated to all they people asking "why holistic?". Let me explain.

I was unbelievably fearful of making any decision at all. I knew I didn't want to make decisions out of fear. I wanted to be able to make decisions based on facts.

The short answer is prayer led me to the decision, but let's expand on why I would be drawn to a holistic approach to begin with.

Let's pretend for a minute. You're sitting in an exam room at your doctor's office. He or she walks in and says "you have c*****". "But don't worry", says the doctor, "you have options". (Keep in mind this is just pretend.)

Option A: You can choose to change your diet, exercise, and take supplements. You'll feel great, have more energy, super charge you immune system, and lose weight. You'll need to take personal responsibility for your health. You won't lose your hair. There are no negative side effects.

Option B: You can choose chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery or some combination of the three, depending on your situation. You'll have periods of being very sick to your stomach and gastrointestinal issues. Your ovaries will stop working and possibly have damage to your heart, liver, and kidneys. Your hair will fall out. Your immune system will be completely shot. You'll be tired just about all the time. There's a possibility that you'll develop leukemia as a result of the chemicals we'll give you.  The drugs will be excreted through all your bodily fluids, so be sure to wash all your clothes separately. Don't share towels or wash clothes. You won't be able to share a bed with your spouse for a week after the chemo treatments. Change the bed linens before letting anyone lay in your bed. Be sure to flush the toilet two or three times after every use. And don't let anyone eat or drink after you. (All of these things were told to me by my second set of doctors and I also read recommendations for precautions after chemo. Look it up if you don't believe me.) You won't have to worry about anything.You'll be able to eat or drink whatever you want.  We'll take care of it all with our drugs.

Those are just the side effects from the chemotherapy, and doesn't include any side effects from surgery or radiation.

If you could achieve the same results, being c*****-free, which I believe you can, with option A or B which one would you choose?

 But wait, there's one problem. You don't believe that option A will work. Why would you? We've been told all our lives that option B is the only way.  If option A worked why don't doctors tell you about it? Why do they tell you you're crazy when you turn down their treatments? I definitely have my own theories about this but that's a subject for another post.

Maybe you know someone or have heard of someone who tried option A and wasn't successful, leaving you believing that it doesn't work for anyone. Guess what? Not everyone who tries option B makes it either. There are risks involved in absolutely everything we do. Nothing is a guarantee.

Is option A for everyone? No. And I accept that. Just because I prayed and came to the conclusion that this is what I am supposed to do, doesn't mean it's what everyone is supposed to do.

So just as option A might not be for you, option B isn't for me, as hard as that is for some of you to understand.

My advice to you is to be proactive. Decide now which option you would want if God forbid you find yourself in my situation, A or B.

No comments:

Post a Comment