Saturday, April 20, 2013

What's the Plan?

A couple of weeks ago I decided I was ditching the medical doctors and their conventional treatments to heal my body using a holistic approach. I received some resistance from my family, but mostly people have honored my request to respect my decision. Hopefully by sharing the stories of others who have cured their c***** without the use of chemotherapy and radiation, I have helped people understand my decision a little better, even if it's not what they would choose.

I asked Bob frequently throughout this process what he thought I should do - medical or holistic.  His answer was always the same, it had to be my decision. It was way too personal for him to choose for me. And he was right. The path that led me to choose no more chemo was indeed a very personal one.

I was surprised at what a hard decision it was for me. I always thought I would choose an alternative route given our experiences we've had with our children and food. I knew first hand the impact changing a diet could have.

From the time my Aiden, who is now 9 years old, was wee little, we knew something wasn't quite right. He was extremely hyper, had unintelligible speech, frequent meltdowns, and was showing signs of having a learning disability. He was 4 years old and couldn't count to three despite all our efforts. Our family and friends had labeled him "the bad one".

Around this time, five years ago, we changed how we ate. I had come across an organization called the Feingold  Association. Dr. Feingold had overwhelming evidence that the artificial ingredients, food colorings and preservatives, in foods could severely impact health and behavior, and could even cause learning problems. Within two weeks of switching our food I had a completely different child. He was so calm that people questioned whether I had put him on medication. He was even counting to ten. We saw significant changes in all five of our children that we didn't even know were being affected.

This started my quest to know more and led to me watching many documentaries dealing with food. This is when I first learned of the Gerson Institute and their natural approaches to healing c*****.  The nutritionist who is assisting me in my journey is actually a friend of Charlotte Gerson and uses many of the same therapies.

Since my diagnosis, I have read and watched a lot more on the subject. I plan to incorporate several different methods, so long as they don't interfere with each other. As of now this is what I am doing.  I am on a strict, raw foods, vegan diet of alkalizing foods. I take lots of vitamin and mineral supplements (60-70 a day) and drink an herbal concoction at bedtime.  I also drink Essiac tea twice a day. It's important to get lots of fresh air and sun, at least an hour a day. I wish the weather was a little more cooperative. I haven't had the energy, but exercise is next on my list. Supposedly, rebounding (jumping on a mini-trampoline) is very good for your lymphatic system, 7-10 minutes three times a day. And I juice, mostly carrots, 64 oz a day. I pray, several times a day, and spend time reading my Bible. Everything I put into or on my body is for the purpose of healing. I used to live to eat, now I am eating to live, quite literally.

Monday, April 22,  I have an appointment with the doctor that will be overseeing and monitoring my progress. He has a medical license which means he is able to order blood work and tests as necessary, but he practices holistic medicine. I'll share his thoughts afterwards.












No comments:

Post a Comment