Thursday, March 7, 2013

Answers to My Mental Dilemma

Apparently, trying to work and get treatments is going to be more difficult than I thought. Monday and Tuesday were already scheduled as in-service/parent conferences, so I didn't have to work. Wednesday was conveniently a snow day.  Today was supposed to be my first day back to work. I say supposed to be because I wasn't able to do it. I felt weak and dizzy and like I should be crawled up in a fetal position in my bed. So after a few hours I came home. Although after being home and getting something to eat, other than cereal, which is all I've had for days, I do feel a lot better. So maybe after another day of rest I will feel up to work tomorrow.

In my last post I described my mental dilemma of medical treatments vs. alternative treatments. After some prompting, Bob and I have decided that it would be in my best interest to visit the C***** Treatment Centers of America. From what I have been told it combines a lot of what I like about both into one plan. If I understood correctly they only see patients there with advanced stage or very aggressive types. And since I have a very aggressive type, they'll see me. We leave on March 19th and we'll be out there several days. If I decide to continue treatment with them I would have to fly to Chicago once a month for three days.

Okay, so here is a question most people have (even if they aren't asking it); How long until you lose your hair?  And the answer is, NOT LONG!!!  They say that my hair will begin to fall out 14 days after my first treatment. It takes just a few days to fall out completely and a lot of it happens at night so when I wake up in the morning there will be clumps of hair on my pillow. Yea!! I can't wait.  I have attempted to go wig shopping several times. It's very frustrating to me. None of them feel or look like MY hair. I've never even had my hair colored before, so the idea of having any other colored hair on my head is completely foreign to me. After my last failed attempt, Bob called in my mother, sister, and nieces to help in picking one out for me. He has also picked out different colored human hair and is having a wig made for me. It should be ready on Saturday.

Most people, so I am told, usually wait until their hair starts to fall out and then they either cut it very short or shave it so they don't have to deal with the mess of hair everywhere. I am considering, when it's time, letting my children cut my hair. In my mind it would help them deal better with the fact that Mom is bald. Although, this can only happen if I am mentally stable. I wouldn't want to be an emotional basket case and for the experience to be traumatizing to them. It's something I will have to consider more over the coming days and see where I am mentally when the time comes. Countdown to hair loss: 11 days






No comments:

Post a Comment