Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow


 I mentally prepared myself and I did it. I cut all my hair off. And it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The picture to the right is a picture of the hair I lost in one day, just from today.  If you can't tell from the picture, it's a pretty significant amount. But even with all the hair I lost, I still had a lot on my head. My hair still looked good. But after yesterday, feeling so down, I sat and really thought. I came to the realization that I am not who I am because of my hair. And if I lose my hair, or my breasts, or my arms, or my legs, it wouldn't change who I am. It might change how I function, but it doesn't have to change me. I always try to set a good example for my children. What would I be saying to them, without saying it, by letting something as stupid as hair dictate how I feel. It isn't what we look like on the outside, it's who we are on the inside that counts, isn't this what we are always saying to our children. Here was my chance to prove it.

So with Bob, the four younger kids, my two sisters, mother, and best friend with me for moral support I did it. I put my hair in four ponytails and had each kid cut one off. Once that was all done I had each one of them take turns with the clippers. Then my one sister finished cutting it while the other continued to take pictures for me. Yes, I wanted pictures of the whole thing. And when it was all done I actually felt better. Strange, right?  But I did. No more hair to wrestle with in the shower, or pull off my clothing, or untangle from my hands after touching my head. And my little Aiden wanted to show his support for his mommy, so we buzzed his head, too.

Aiden and me after our hair cuts

2 comments:

  1. Tara you look so cute in your scarf...I am going to wear one in your honor...just say when! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can wear one to our meeting tomorrow!! ;)

      Delete